-->

Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Best (and easiest) French Toast

To be honest I can't speak to the "best" adjective since I'm not a big french toast fan but according to the hubs it's some of the best he's EVER tasted! I had to giggle a bit at how much eagerly he gobbled it up when I made it the first time for some "brinner". You know, that lovely meal of breakfast for dinner. I served it up with some turkey sausage and some fresh strawberries for an easy and delicious meal!

French Toast - Serves 4

Have it:
4 beaten eggs
1 cup milk
2 tbl. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
8 1/2 in. slices challah bread or brioche or 8 slices dry white bread. (I went with Texas toast - great choice!)
2 tbl. butter
Maple-syrup
*The original recipe also includes orange liqueur as an option which I did not have on hand. Also the cinnamon and nutmeg are listed as optional - in my opinion they are necessary, not optional!

Do it:
1. In a shallow bowl beat together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and sugar. Dip bread slices into egg mixture, thoroughly coating each side.

2. In a skillet or on a griddle melt 1 tbl. of the butter over medium heat; add half of the bread slices and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining butter and bread slices. Serve warm topped with syrup, powdered sugar and fresh strawberries.



Little side note - when I was growing up my grandma always used the same bowl to make french toast. Though her original bowl is long lost, I found the same one at a flea market and now carry on the tradition. I think it makes it taste better and is the perfect size and shape for making french toast. Sigh, I do love traditions.

And apologies for the lack of prep pictures but I had a hungry boy to feed - little time for pictures :)

Source: Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook

1 comment:

  1. Must feed the boy....and so sweet...the grandma memory:)

    ReplyDelete