-->

Monday, May 28, 2012

Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot

I can officially check off one of my 2012 New Year’s Resolutions as complete. I’ve been to not one, but SIX Bikram yoga classes! And I’m happy to report that I am a huge fan and will continue to be going back for more. But first I will back up a little to talk more about this unique form of yoga.


Bikram yoga. What is it?

Well, put simply its hot yoga. Created by and named after Bikram Choudhury. And when I say hot, I mean HOT. To be a true Bikram yoga class, the studio must be heated to 105 degrees with 40% humidity. Yep, I bet you are sweating just hearing those stats. The reason behind the heat has to do with your bod. In the practice of Bikram yoga your body will bend, stretch and hold postures. With the heat you are able to do these things more deeply as the heat creates elasticity in your muscles and joints. In short, it warms you up.

During the 90 minute class (that usually flies by), you go through a series of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises. Each pose is designed to work on certain points throughout your body. Some are restricting blood flow and I love hearing all of the things that are happening - helping your digestive organs, strengthening your immune system, the list goes on and on and its great!!

Major differences. (from the yoga most are familiar with)


In addition to the heat, the class must be taught by a certified Bikram yoga instructor and the instructor doesn’t model the postures but rather speaks consistently through the entire 90 minutes motivating you, explaining postures and encouraging you to get all of the health benefits Bikram has to offer.

That’s definitely my short and sweet "Reader’s Digest" version of Bikram yoga but it touches on all of the basic facts.

Additional reading and information can be found here, here and here.

Yoga mat from Lululemon - The Mat and I love it!

1 comment: